Sunday 12 March 2017

My Election Address


VOTE BERNY PARKES 
UNISONaction  STANDING TOGETHER FOR OUR MEMBERS

3 is the magic number!

In the last election, I lost out by just three votes (2581-2578) so I’m back rejuvenated and inspired to give it another go!

I’m originally from Liverpool and moved to Dorset 21 years ago.  I’ve been in childcare social work for 27 years, before this I spent 10 years as a Policeman.  I’m married & we have 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren.

I’ve been active in our union since 1989 and served as Branch Chair for the past 10 years. I have vast experience representing members through grievances and disciplinary proceedings; negotiating for my branch with employers including serving on numerous committees; and also working within UNISON’s internal structures.

UNISON against the cuts

As providers of services we’re well aware of the terrible impact that the relentless cuts have on our colleagues, communities, the women who make up over 75% of our membership and the low paid

UNISON has to be at the forefront of the defence of ordinary working people against the immoral austerity agenda imposed by the Tory Government and our employers.

Another world is possible

Im pleased that the Labour Party, under their new leadershiphas reversed its policy on austerity and is leading the fight in Parliament with other opposition parties against the vicious Tory cuts.

Unison needs to develop a strident political strategy to offer a future based on defending our people rather than being victims of the greed & avarice of financial institutions.

The fight back starts here

The NHS is in absolute crisis, social care is being dismantled and destroyed, education is under constant attackour pay’s cut, jobs slashed, terms and conditions are crumbling. Our members, justifiably, are angry.

Yet our leadership lack the imagination and will to galvanise this angercontent with ignoring our grassroots democracyrelying upon the misguided inaction of paid full time officials – this must be reversed.

UNISONaction

I’m proud that retiring NEC member Suzy Franklin has endorsed my candidature, and that of Michelle Goodman, and we’re committed with all the UNISONaction candidates to return our union to the control of the membership.  

Our Pledge 

If elected I’ll fight to: 
Develop a national action plan that effectively fights all cuts & defends jobs; 
Oppose privatisation in all its forms; 
Call a coordinated campaign that unites our Branches,Service Groups, Sister  Unions, communities & political allies;
Argue against Branches being left alone in struggle;
Demand an end to unelected full time officials calling the shots and interfering in  the democracy of our union. 

4 More Votes!

If I succeed in securing the extra votes required I promise that I will keep you in touch with news & developments from the NECensuring your views are taken to the heart of UNISON’s decision-making structure.
For more information on my campaign I can be found on berny4nec.blogspot.co.uk & on Facebook page - Berny Parkes 4 UNISON NEC South West Male Seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment